Thursday, June 3, 2010

My name is Robin and I’m a Facebook Addict

I haven’t had so much fun on the internet in years before I found Facebook. I love this site! I love my new and old friends! I love hearing about their lives, what interests them, what irritates them, what they’re doing. I love seeing their photos. I love reading their blogs.

I have met so many new friends on Facebook. I call them my “Facebook friends”. I can’t wait to log on in the morning and see what has happened overnight. If I don’t’ like someone, I can “hide” them for a while until I want to see what they’re up to, then I “unhide” them.

I can have private conversations with people or public ones. I decide. People are very funny on Facebook and I love reading their replies.

I am currently following 2 friends’ trip through Spain and Morocco through Facebook. Another friend is in England and I’m reading her daily posts. When I recently had health issues, I posted updates on Facebook from the hospital (ICU even! Love my Blackberry!)

I use the Facebook game Scramble as my writing warm-up. It gets my mind flowing and searching for words.

Oddly enough, although I hate advertising but I don’t hate advertising on Facebook. First of all, I can choose to ignore it if I wish. Second, it is “smart” advertising. Advertisers see what my interests are and only advertise to those interests. They don’t spam me and irritate me.

I’m going to try to go a week without looking at Facebook. No, I better take baby steps, I’m going to try to go 2 days without looking at Facebook. I’ll let you know how it goes. The only thing is I don’t’ know when I’m going to start.

Robin Dohrn-Simpson
Freelance Writer
www.robindohrnsimpson.com

1 comment:

  1. A great facebook experiment and reveal...don't forget the inner facebook, when you practice such awareness that you sense your Fb world without even looking us up!
    A fb friend in India writes, "I can't get you out of my mind!" Not romantic fixation, just connection...Leta my mate said: Don't you miss X in India- I certainly do, when she had to take a month off....then we pondered, how can we miss someone we never even met, and don't really know!
    Therein is the mystery of FB...keep writing, Robin! and Thanks....

    ReplyDelete